Where Have I Been?

Well, that's a darn good question. The answer is nowhere (more's the pity), but that doesn't really explain the 3+ weeks since my last post does it?

I've got lots of excuses, such as being busy with the needs of family and friends, wintery weather and school stuff. And all of these things are true. But what it really comes down to 3 things:
  1. The fact that I am very poor at compartmentalizing
  2. The re-realization that I really am a bit of an instant gratification kind of girl when it comes to making things
  3. The February Blahs
Let me start by talking about the compartmentalization issue. I wish, oh how I wish, that I was one of those people who when faced with a problem or difficult situation can deal with it to the extent possible at the time, and then firmly put it out of their minds and get on with other things until it is time to deal with it again. This is something I have never been very good at. Instead life, and especially work stuff hangs around in my head for way too long, keeping me awake for nights and taking up time and energy that could be used for better things - like ending world hunger, balancing the global economy, or (gasp) getting on with my creative work. 

Wait a minute. Back up 3 paragraphs. What do you mean school stuff? Aren't you on sabbatical? Why yes indeed I am. Thanks for reminding me about that. See what I mean about having trouble compartmentalizing? 

http://www.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/
The sturm und drang of the world seems to drive some people to great heights of creativity. But not so much for me. Mostly it is a huge impediment to my creative output. And the irony of it all is that the only thing that makes me feel better at such times is doing something creative! It's a vicious cycle.

Of course none of this is news to me and so you'd think I'd know better by now. Ha. Perhaps I need to make some kind of sign to remind me - something along the lines of Get Over It and Make Something. Or get a prominent tattoo.

I have been working very hard to keep on with the making, although I don't have too much to show from the past few weeks.  Aside from some small bits and pieces, I'm currently working on a project that is taking a long time to complete. A long, long time. In fact, I think this is one of the most laborious projects I have ever done. It falls into the category of slow sewing, which is much slower and much more work than slow cooking and may not render up such yummy results, although I am hopeful. 

The slowness comes from the fact that this is a big piece of hand sewing, and there is a limit to how many hours I can stitch with black thread on deep blue motifs on black fabric. Sunny days are better than dull ones for this and thus sleepless nights are completely useless. Unfortunately. Otherwise I would have finished this at least a week ago.

Slow sewing (and slow cooking for that matter) is not my usual style at all. Actually anything with the word "slow" in it is a bit foreign to me. But I think I'm starting to 'get' it. Another lesson worth learning.

And of course, all this has been made somehow worse simply by it being February. And a real Ontario February it is - unlike many of past years. Lots of snow, plenty of cold and weeks and weeks of winter still to come. I wonder if folks who live in more temperate climes experience anything like the February Blahs?

So to wrap up this contemplative/whiney post, here's a sneak peak of the big project in process. I'll post the final product just as soon as I can!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tiny Birds

Alabama me - part 2

February Blues Finished or Alabama me - part 3